Disabilities & Virtual Worlds: Participant Recruitment
CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN DISABILITIES AND VIRTUAL WORLDS: A PHENOMENOLOGICAL EXPLORATION INTO THE EXPERIENCE OF LEARNING
I understand that I have been asked to participate in a research project being conducted by Amber Judge of the Department of Education of Concordia University (firstname.lastname@example.org), under the supervision of Professor Ann-Louise Davidson of the Department of Education of Concordia University (email@example.com).
I have been informed that the purpose of the research is to explore meaning-making and perceived experiences of physically disabled individuals who use and interact in the virtual world of Second Life. Specifically, this study wishes to explore this group’s subjective experiences of learning about the self and other through interaction in virtual worlds.
I understand that this research will require me to respond to questions in three separate interviews. These interviews will be conducted within Second Life and take between 30 to 90 minutes each to complete. I have been informed that it will be my choice whether to take this interview through text chat or voice chat. I understand that the researchers will be aware of my avatar identity in Second Life, and that my identity will be kept confidential. I am assured that at any point in time I may withdraw from this study by contacting the researchers, at which point any information that may have been collected will be discarded.
C. RISKS AND BENEFITS
I understand that there is a potential emotional vulnerability that comes with personal disclosure, and I am aware of the referral to contact if the need arises. The benefits include giving my voice to represent people with physical disabilities in present research, which can inform policy makers, educators and future use, research, design and development in virtual worlds. In addition it can inform individuals with disabilities of what can be done in Second Life.
D. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
• I understand that I am free to withdraw my consent and discontinue my participation at anytime without negative consequences.
• I understand that my participation in this study is CONFIDENTIAL (i.e., the researcher will know, but will not disclose my real and virtual identity).
• I understand that the data from this study may be published.
I HAVE CAREFULLY STUDIED THE ABOVE AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT. I FREELY CONSENT AND VOLUNTARILY AGREE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS STUDY.
Please type in your full Second Life Avatar name in the text field below:
Do you consent to participating in this study?
If at any time you have questions about the proposed research, please contact the study’s Principal Investigator, Amber Judge of the Department of Education of Concordia University (firstname.lastname@example.org); or Professor Ann-Louise Davidson of Department of Education of Concordia University (email@example.com). If at any time you have questions about your rights as a research participant, please contact the Research Ethics and Compliance Advisor, Concordia University, 514.848.2424 ex. 7481 firstname.lastname@example.org
1. For the researcher to contact you in Second Life, please provide your full avatar name:
2. How long have you been using Second Life?
Less than a month
6 years or more
3. Do you consider yourself physically disabled in real life?
4. Do you consider yourself homebound in real life?
5. What kind of disability do you experience?
6. For the interviews, what medium would you prefer to communicate through?
Either Text or Voice
7. Please type in when you might be available for participating in interviews for this study. Include dates and times (SLT):
Thank you, I greatly appreciate your time and effort!! If you have any questions regarding this research please contact Ambrosia108 Azalee via notecard in-world in Second Life, or by email at email@example.com
Online Survey Builder powered by